The Sir Edmund Hillary Outdoor Pursuits Centre of New Zealand (OPC) is located in a remote area of the Central North Island adjacent to the Tongariro National Park. OPC is an ideal base for variety of activities for every season, from walking, river kayaking and mountain biking to skiing, ski touring and mountaineering.
OPC is situated 4km off State Highway 47 on the western side of the Park. It is an area rich in natural and cultural history surrounded by lakes, rivers, mountains and native bush. To find us, travel via Tokaanu, Turangi or National Park onto State Highway 47. We can be found approximately 25km along this road from each of these townships. The Centre is well signposted from the main road.
Geographical Coordinates: 39° 04' 30" S - 175° 33' 20" E
Elevation: 780m asl
The major part of the Tawhitikuri Youth Development Centre at OPC will be at the disposal of the Workshop participants. The Youth Development Centre (YDC) is architecturally designed to fit in with the natural surroundings and has magnificent views of the mountains.
The Centre consists of a main dining room, commercial kitchen, lounge room, audio-visual equipment, a small breakout lounge room and three accommodation blocks. It has the Internet and communication facilities in the main lodge and large decking area.
An accommodation block consists of two chalets, each composed of a 10-bunk room, a 2-bunk room, a drying room, a bathroom and toilets. Bedding and linen are provided. A floor plan gives a detailed view of the accommodation facilities.
Chalet Floor Plan | download (PDF 392KB)
2 September 2012 is a Sunday. For those who wish to attend Sunday service, here is the list of Church Services in the area:
- Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian (co-operating) Church of the Cross - 10.00am: 4 Hingaia St, Town Centre, Turangi
- Apostolic Church - 10.30am: Senior Citizens Hall, Town Centre, Turangi
- Church of Latter Day Saints - 9.30am: Puataata Rd, Turangi
- Jehovah's Witness - 10.00am: 19 Raukura St, Turangi
- New Life Christian Fellowship - 10.30am: 14 Paehoro Grove, Turangi
- Roman Catholic St Joseph the Worker - 11.30am: 30 Ohuanga Rd, Turangi
- Turangi Evangelical - 10.45am: Hirangi Road, Turangi